What topics to work on in 2015/16
Exchange and exploration of (existing) information and ideas for 2015 and 2016:
- Development of hybrid financial instruments for farmers and/or Producer Organisations
- There is a need for exchange of research by European parties in the sector and share this with partners in the field, carry out an inventory make it practically available
- Create an inventory of existing tools, followed by check for gap in availability:
- Work on know-how on how to implement tools in a cost-effective way in order to remain sustainable (because of e.g. higher operational costs)
- Which operational tools are available, see also point 10
- Idem for tools to assess/rate farmers (follow-up on current research by NpM/Agriprofocus/Terrafina Microfinance)
- Idem for tools for due diligence (follow-up on current research by NpM/Agriprofocus/Terrafina Microfinance)
- Follow-up on current research by NpM/Agriprofocus/Terrafina Microfinance: how to deal with often perceived risk: what is needed by MFIs to improve services?
- Understand the broader spectrum of financial instruments that farmers possibly use to invest (e.g. only credits, or also savings, etc.)
- Explore the role of ICT
- Explore the topic of globalisation of farming activities
- Translation of tools/training materials into French
- Organise webinars and invite MFIs from the south
- Create (sub-) working groups and best practices based on the exchange of information on operational tools
- Research on causes of both success stories & failures in providing financial services to rural clients incl. subsequent focus on solutions (in order to suggest input/ideas for investment for MFIs/FIs)
- Further analysis on risk:
- Zoom in on risk of providing financial services (especially social and environmental risk exposure for MFIs)
- Zoom in on geographical diversity (e.g. 15 countries on different continents)
- Need for specification environmental risk analysis.
- With regard to point 3: websites available that include tools:
- With regard to point 10: prevent duplication of existing materials on FAO Rural Finance Learning Centre).
- With regard to point 12 A) and point 13: there are two environmental and social risk management toolkits available on https://www.fmo.nl/esg-tools
- Coordination of ROI AG in 2015/2016
Patricia Richter (ILO) and Hermann Messan (UNCDF) have offered to coordinate the activities of the ROI AG in 2015/16.